Tuesday 3 July 2012

A Novel in a Week


First I'd like to point out that I, KB Walker, am not going to attempt to write a novel in a week! This is the crazy idea of novelist, David W Robinson, a fellow author from the Crooked {Cat} establishment. This is what he has to say about it:
I’m going to write novel in week.
Pauses for gapes and gasps of utter astonishment.
Why?
No reason at all. I’m semi-retired, dogged by poor sleep, mainly through poor health, so I spend a lot of hours at the computer, filling the time by writing and pottering about the web. Then I read this piece about someone else who had tried it and I thought, “yeah, why not?”
As anyone who knows me will testify, my output is prodigious. To write one of my popular, light-hearted Sanford 3rd Age Club Mysteries, takes about month. Major thrillers, such as The Handshaker and Voices, take a little longer, but never more than three months when the ideas and words are flowing.
But a novel in a week? It’s impossible isn’t it?
I would agree, but I’m still going for it.
Let’s be clear on this; I don’t expect to produce a perfect, publishable work in seven days, but I do expect a solid, working first draft, and my calculations, based on a typing speed of 25 wpm, indicate that I can do it.
It will mean changes to my regular writing routine. For a start off, there will be more hours on the word processor rather then the Web. Secondly detail planning is needed. I’m not a planner; never have been, but without some kind of written plan, I have no chance. I have to take into account our weekly jaunts to Tesco’s to pick up life’s necessities such as food and teabags, and the dog will be going for shorter walks… that’s slightly misleading. Thanks to my arthritic knees, if the walks get any shorter, he’ll only get as far as the front gate.
I have several advantages, if they can be described as such. I’m quite hard of hearing so the TV and radio do not distract me. Not that I watch TV even when I have the chance. The missus doesn’t distract me, either … mind you, she doesn’t even talk to me unless she’s nagging about trivia like rent, gas and electricity bills.
I’m also quite focussed. Although I tend to keep two or three projects on the go at a time, to stave off the threat of boredom, when I’m on song with one of them, I stick with it.
The be all and all is I’m going to try. It’s not a bet, it’s not for charity, it’s not for any reason at all other than the same reason people keep climbing Everest. Because it’s there.
And the result? Whether I write 70,000 or 20,000 words, the end product will be revised, polished, tidied up and sent to my publishers, Crooked Cat Books, and if they don’t want it, I’ll probably self-publish.
Would you like to follow the progress of this insane idea? As well as writing the actual novel, I’ll be blogging the result at http://novelinaweek.blogspot.co.uk You’re more than welcome to tag along.

3 comments:

  1. We're all waiting with baited breath to see what might result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by Maureen & Nancy and for your best wishes for David.

    ReplyDelete